Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Hello World...

I am still alive, but it feels like it's just barely! The end of a semester is always a crazy time in teaching high school. This second year of teaching has gone a lot smoother than my first, but it's still pretty intense. Why did I pick a job with the longest, highest learning curve ever and homework? Oh right... because I love it! I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.

In all seriousness, stepping back from the crafty life was good in helping me refocus on my first priority: my kids. I truly do have a passion for good, solid education and I try to do right by them every day. I get so excited when they blurt out these crazy sentences that, to me, translate into: I am becoming a critically thinking adult and I have decided I hate/love this philosophy! And sometimes there's blurts that don't make a lot of sense entirely, but I can tell they're working through their thoughts. While I teach philosophy, I don't expect everyone to become a philosopher at the end of it--just to be able to evaluate some crazy ideas on their own.


There's been a lot of grading papers, a lot of presentations, and some hanging out with kids during lunch times, after school, and during my off period. That typically means that when I come home, I crash, and I crash hard. Some evenings, my husband and I don't talk very much. We just sit in a mutual and comfortable silence and give each other silly, delirious smiles that say "yes, honey, I know. We're teachers, and we've been talking for eight hours straight. You know I love you, but let's just watch Colbert and laugh sometimes."


 Finals week is the craziest, but it's winding down. Tomorrow is the last day, and after that, I hope to return to crafting full force! I'd like for crafting (and eating pie, and sleeping in, and reading books) to be a profession but when it is not your full time gig, it has to be ok to ebb and flow. I'm climbing out of a sewing rut, and at the top are all the left behind projects, calling to me like little orphans for me to finish them and put them somewhere that is not the limbo of unfinished crafty things...


And on that note, enjoy a picture of the outdoors until I can give you pictures of crafts. I hope you've all had a wonderful fall season and I can't wait to update you on the winter months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment