Monday, June 24, 2013

Homemade Wardrobe: Summertime Tank

When we moved, I realized how much old clothing I had stashed away in my craft closet. Most older clothing goes to Goodwill periodically, but there are several items I have held on to, thinking "that print could still work somewhere" and "maybe I could skinny those pants..." Nothing has happened to the majority of these items, and my interest in refashioning was hid away in the closet with the clothes. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. Now that the box is sitting out in my craft room and has even been organized (!) onto shelves, I remember why I saved those items in the first place. At one point, I truly believed I could make them into something new.


And I finally did it. Introducing: my new summer tank top!



The triangle fabric is a quilting cotton, though thankfully not positioned where it will wrinkle very easily. The knit fabric that makes the rest of it was an Old Navy skirt I'd had for a while. I'm not sure why I had it--I'm not a big believer in knit skirts and they have never looked good on me... until now that it is a tank top.


Pictured: Sass

This project actually helped destash in several ways. I had a version of this tank top I had made two years ago, and it was one of the first items of clothing I actually made for myself and wore out. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to finish anything, and some seams came apart in the wash (I didn't know how to care for anything either, apparently.) I put it up thinking I would use the print (it could still work somewhere...) but I'm glad I kept it for the pattern. I have the envelope for this pattern, but no pattern. I'm not sure what happened to it, but thankfully I was able to make a copy for myself out of this old tank and recreate the top I loved so much.






For those interested, the pattern is McCall's 6359.





This one is about as finished as it possibly could be. I like that my facing looks like a little surprise inside the arm holes! I want it to last forever! 



I have a feeling this creation is going to see a lot of summer sun. (which my skin needs to see as well. I'm pale.)

Big shout out to Mr. Kopf who took these photos for me. He said it looked way more natural when I was laughing, so obviously this was my first instinct:




There's a bit of mad scientist in all of us creative types.

No comments:

Post a Comment